Monday 12 March 2007

Trabaho

As I said on my Spanish blog, I am now unemployed. Things happening, changes being expected. But let's talk business. Busyness.
I am a quite active person. I like to lay down and do nothing, look at the sky, watch the clouds go by, think, watch people walking by..., but I need things to do.
Previously I posted a song about leaving everything and starting over. There is something that may seem very silly but is very important to me. Tracy Chapman wrote: "You and I can both get jobs / and finally see what it means to be living". This could be taken as two different objects, e.g. 1 + 1 = 2, the car and the house, etc., or the second part being the consequence of the first, i.e. we get jobs, ergo we know what it means to be alive.
I chose this second interpretation. Especially for this post.
On New Year's Eve, already a long time ago, I made an unwelcomed toast. We were wishing each other's happiness, and I went "for a new year full of love, trips, bla, bla, job...". Everyone went "what you talking about?", all but the Argentineans that were with us. Later I understood why they didn't: they came thousands of miles to get a job they can't get over there. They all work and haven't been unemployed for more than a week since they arrived (well, all but a guy who thinks is a Bohemian, and even thinks he speaks English, bravo man). The ones who complained: white, Christian-raised Spaniards. And the fact that they were all raised Catholic (other religions are very uncommon in Spain) bugs me a lot. Isn't that religion that tells about the hard work along life to be rewarded after death? Anyway, let's not talk about that, lets keep talking about work.
I believe work is what you are, it is a part of yourself. Even if you are doing something you don't like, you don't enjoy, it is something that belongs to you. Be careful: it belongs to you, not you belong to it. This could happen only if you are doing what you REALLY want to do.
It took me ages to understand that I shouldn't take job problems personally. It took me ages to accept that I could fight or even hate working with a colleague, and then, after the bell has rang, go to have few pints/glasses of wine with him/her. That I dislike how a person works does not mean this person is a bad person, and vice versa.
And now, I don't have a job and waiting to take a plane –this is taking too long– and I fill my days trying to study and doing little things of my to do list. I try to get busy, because I like busyness.
If my job is a part of me, and I don't have one now, I have lost a part of myself.

Post title: Tagalog word for job,
origins in the Spanish word
trabajo.

2 comments:

coque said...

today I heard tracy's song in a cafetería. I said: "This song is following me", and it's true, but I like it.

for catholicism, work is almost a curse. a divine punishment.

I agree about leaving behind personal problems at work, and vice versa. one is a persona at work, and other at home.
but I also wouldn't like to work with a boyfriend, family or a close friend.

Habibi said...

I have done everything you say (bf, family) and it depends on who and how. You have to be clear on your boundaries.