Tuesday 30 October 2007

Do you believe in signs?

Do you?
And I don't mean those signs that make you think that there is some kind of life outside of this not-so-humble planet (which, I am not going to discuss as I have already talked about it).
I talk about the kind of signs that makes us take some decision.
I have recently read Das Parfum, as you might know. Throughout the book, Grenouille talks a lot about the fact that on smelling someone we behave differently to this person, according to the scent. This is a kind of sign.
But there are plenty of them all around. People give hints when they talk and move. They wink and they lay the hand on your shoulder. They look at you with their deep deep turquoise eyes. And what is what we learn from it?

Sometimes nothing.

Because we are too busy with other things. Because everything is contaminated. Because there are too many distractions.

Signs. Signs all around and all what we have to do is look up and unplug our iPods. Then we start seeing things and hearing noises and all this is information that we are missing. Too much information, you may say, and you are right, sometimes. But, as well, sometimes this information we are about to miss could totally change our lives.

"Pero es que hay que estar predispuesto a interpretarlas", he said. 'We have to be predisposed to interpret them, though.' And he was right, he is right.

How do we interpret them? How?

This is something I can't explain, because me, myself, I am still having trouble trying to get the meaning of stars that guided me someplace few years back.
What star? How the star? Where the star?

But, why, if I can ask, do you (we) get so scared when something may change our lives?
Why are we scared of reading the signs we see in the street?

You said "It is just not meant to happen," and I answered "You think?" but you never replied to me and gave me your digits, anyway. And now, after all what we have gone through (which is nothing, I know, it doesn't matter, but it is strange how I still look out of the window and wonder what is going to come next) I am still here and you are still there and we both look at the signs. Do we both look at the signs? I am certainly looking.



PS And if you had said "Yes" I would have walked away, because signs matter to me. But now, after all, if we have survived, surpassed the signs, aren't we stronger?
PS2 Don't think this is only about you. Anyway, who am I talking to? If you aren't going to read this just yet, if ever; and the other yous... they might be to dull to understand.
PS3 Of course it was for you. I found it on the street. It was a sign, but you ignored it, and you will regret it, eventually.

5 comments:

Vulcano Lover said...

I am never afraid of things than can change my life... And I am the one who interpret sings all the time... But they're not to determine our lives, that's for sure. They are only guides, if we want to listen to them.
In the end, what change our lives are our own decisions... And they shouldn't depend entirely on (probably) accidental signs...

Also sings can be interpreted differently depending on the person or even on the moment... So, We should see sings just as an opportunity to think about us and our lives...

I don't forget you...

David said...

Some words sound better in English ;)
What kind of sign surprised you today?
(finally I read you here too!)

Habibi said...

Vulcano: are you serious? do you really intend me to buy this? c'mon! you know you are lying. Oh, god! Björk is so right.

David: perhaps the signs of the words you said.

Luis said...

Signs mean what you want them to mean...

Muchas veces uno interpreta esa mano en su hombro como lo que le gustaría que significara...¿no crees?

Habibi said...

Luis without acute: it is interesting what you said, becaues sometimes it is very difficult to understand what WE really want something to mean.
ese es el problema precisamente, que interpretamos según lo que queremos, no según lo que realmente queremos ni según lo que necesitamos.