Monday 3 October 2005

Few thoughts (Part I)

I am still ill and it is very late but I need to say some stuff as I haven't spoken much, today.

1. I need to speak about my self-esteem. My oldest sister was telling me yesterday about what I should do with my life, now. Well, she was giving me some advices but, since I don't really know how to decide, it is more like an statement. She told me, for example, that I should do English classes or at least conversation classes. She said that, for example, she couldn't have done this blog. Of course, I do speak English almost everyday and I write it and I read it and I listen to it in the music and in the movies but, still, I am not confident enough. What do you guys think of it? I've been corrected in my other two languages, lately, which is actually embarrassing sometimes. I know I can do better than most people in Spain, speaking English, I mean. But, can I teach those who can't? And, how? I would like to do it as the Callan, which I heard works very good. But still, I am so damn scared about failing on it... It really means a lot to me, to speak English. Today I was watching movie after movie. The first I saw was Before Sunset and, of course, I saw it in English without subtitles, and I thought of what she was saying yesterday. I am scared, though, the French movie I saw, I saw it subtitled --Spanish people is really scared to "letreros" (meaning subtitles in a funny way).
2. As well I need to talk about emigration. Two of the other movies I saw were Loin (Far?) and María­ full of grace. The first one being an André Techiné's movie and the second one whose main character won an academy award for it, if I am not wrong. Both talked a little about money and emigration. It is so sad, and it makes me so angry, how sometimes we are told that things are so cool elsewhere. Yes, right, in London I was getting paid much more than in here, in Spain, and I had better work conditions and so on. But, though, I had some other problems. In the Colombian movie (María...), one character says something like "I felt so great when I could send money home". This is a fallacy. I know there are so many problems in Eastern Europe, South America and Africa, and that's why they come over (have you read/seen/heard the news about the sub-saharans jumping over the fences of Ceuta and Melilla –two Spanish cities in northern Africa–?). But as well I know that everyone keeps telling us that the US is so great and that everything there is beautiful and easy. But, come on, people dies there too, and they are hungry and they go to the toilet as elsewhere. When I went to Canada earlier this year and I was at Niagara Falls (which deceived me so much), I saw "America" and I could have crossed the bridge and go there for up to three months and, you know, I wouln't do it. I wouldn't cross because I have always been told of how great it is and it is not true. Do you really think that my friends-whit-a-degree-and-a-master have it so easy in the UK where they can only apply to service jobs or cleaning or something like that? Of course, a hundred pounds in Lithuania are so much money, but, hey, how much does it cost? Waking up every day before sunrise to work in something you hate and be home after sunset? Have a degree in, for example, biology and work as a waiter? Pay so much money for a visa or for a fake passport? When you should be back home trying to improve your life. Even though, the truth is, that saving for a while you can buy a house back home when that ammount of money you have to work for ages in your country.

The truth is that I had some other matters to talk about, but I've lost my memory and my energy through my fingertips. Besides, it is very late now. I'm going bed.

No comments: