Friday 17 February 2006

What are you looking at?

Last evening I was talking with some friends and the main topic was one acquaintance of us. She appears to be one of those girls that like to be the center of the attention. Hey, forgive me, but sometimes I have wondered about myself for that reason; not because I like to be the center of the attention but because sometimes, accidentally, I am.
The thing is, as per what my girlfriends say, this other girl is the center of the attention because she is being silly, egotistic, superficial, etc. So they are worried for many reasons. The first is, thank god, her. What is going on with her? Why is she being so silly? But as well one of the reasons is because she is being naughty with the girls and the friends of the girls.
OK, she has got a big ego. That's fine by me. OK, she is silly sometimes and makes stupid jokes. That is also fine by me. OK, she lets her friends down sometimes. That doesn't do for me.
The thing is, perhaps because I lived in London –a city where you can do whatever you like– I don't care too much about it. I still remember like if it was yesterday when, not even a month in the city, the mother of an Spanish girlfriend of mine came to visit her. I remember us going to the memorial of Diana and Doddy at Harrods, the walks along the river, the morning in Candem Town eating delicious spinach and cheese crêpes. But the thing I remember the most is how her mother was all the time saying something like "Nobody knows us here, we can do whatever we want!". This is the thing. As I don't care what people thinks about me when I am, e.g., dancing, or jumping, or laughing, or speaking, why should I care about the things they do?
I also remember when I went to beautiful Poland with my former in May 2004 and he used to feel ashamed by his "backwards" country when I was just seeing the beautifulness of the people, the landscapes, the buildings, the culture and a never ending list of the most incredible feelings I was experimenting.
Sure, when I was "going" to Spain I was feeling that my country was bit backwards too, comparing to London, obviously, but never felt ashamed. We are different people and we do things differently.
I don't know why I am saying that now, but what is sure is that I DISLIKE this lack of freedom to do what we feel like that we have in this my, for one year already, new home.
So you are different? I don't care. I only have a rule (that unifies the 10 commandments): do not do to others what you wouldn't like for yourself.
Feel free.

1 comment:

coque said...

I agree. Being happy is extremly difficult. I can feel good or calm, but to be happy I need to be more than that.

be happy ;)