Sunday 13 May 2007

Prayings of a first song

Eurovision has just finished, Serbia won. I am watching the after contest program and I am flipping. I have to say that I loved "Molitva" by Marija Šerifović and I am very happy she won. I also loved many other songs like the one of Makedonija, Magyarország (Hungary), Lietuva (Lithuania) and საქართველო (Georgia) –yes, they are all more or less the same style.
I don't know in other countries, I can only talk about Spain, but my concerns talk of xenophobia. These people who think they are someones to talk about the Contest (some of them, I still wonder why they ever contracted them for first time on a program) are just talking bullshit about it. They are complaining about the fact that the top winners of the Contest are from Eastern Europe. Once again, we think we are the center of the universe. If the winner was, say, France and it was followed by Germany, Spain, Italy, Belgium and the Netherlands, we wouldn't complain. And, what's worse, we wouldn't even think that Eastern European countries could say we are working together to put them out of the contest, and if they said so, we would say that's peanuts.
I don't like the voting process we have right now, like any other program, by televoting. I would recommend to have half of the votes by judges in each country, and the other half by televoting. Why keeping this? Cos this is the way to keep your viewers and eurofans loyal to the contest and the program.
But, what is obvious is that we keep voting our neighbours. I can't remember now who gave Spain the only douze points but it wasn't any of the neighbouring countries. Not even Andorra, who usually gives us the highest score, did this year. This surprised me, on one hand, but when I thought it twice, did Spain give the 12 to them on the semifinal? Even if Anonymous had a great song: "Salvar el món" [I want to take a second to comment on this: the singer has a great English accent, I think, but a real funny accent in Catalan, more like if he was from Catalonia's country side or even València. There is something he sings that I find is great: "To fix the world at once is possible if we do it all of us together."]

But with the migration of people, we vote our country when we are away. I only had the chance to vote once when I was living in the UK and I did vote Spain, of course, but I thought she deserved it. There are many Romanians in Spain, and for a few years already, Spain's 12 points go to their country. Migration, migration. We now regret the EU because it worsens our expectations in ESC. That's pathetic. The whole thing is pathetic.
As I said, I agree on making some changes on the voting process. I also agree on promoting singing in one of the country's official languages [in this, if more than one, I would recommend even sing one year in one language and the next year in another]. I understand that English is widely known, I am Spanish you see and I am writing in English, but after tonight's performance of Germany, it is shown that even swing sounds great in another language [sorry to say that I normally don't like German language but I loved the song, it sounded great and soft]. Also, I would forbid using more than one language if they are not official in the country. Why? Cos it is silly? That's to start from, but next cos you find that they aren't able to speak the language. I hate when they use Spanish, especially, cos it is my language and I know how things can (not must) be pronounced. Romania used many languages and in Spanish only like two words or so, quite pathetic, cos even one of the words was 'mañana', which is one of the horrible topics of Spain.
One more thing on language: I know it would be very difficult to have the spokesperson giving the votes of each country in their language, but, hey, "12 points goes" is not correct, right? it should be 'go', shouldn't it? Of the 42 countries, half of them said 'goes'. Anyway, I would rather say "are for". Also, I would also forbid all of them say "oh, whatever calling, congratulations on your fantastic show, blah blah, you are so handsome, we could go on a date"; that's boring, all the time the same.

I had been watching the song drop by drop on the net, but up to last Thursday I hadn't watched them all together. But that day I realised how gay the contest has become. I am happy of it, of course. And I am so happy the Serbian girl won. I haven't read it anywhere yet, I realised at fist sight, but on the program they are saying she is openly gay.

Anyway, I don't think I have more to say. I leave you with Molitva. I recommend you to visit the Wiki entry for ESC07 and from there start browsing. There are many versions of the song that won, in English, Russian, etc., you can find them here. Good night and till next year.

Молитва – Molitva
Марија Шерифовић – Marija Šerifović



Ni oka da sklopim
Postelja prazna tera san
A život se topi
I nestaje brzo, k'o dlanom o dlan
K'o razum da gubim
Jer stvarnost i ne primećujem
Još uvek te ljubim
Još uvek ti slepo verujem
K'o luda, ne znam kuda
Ljubavi se nove bojim
A dane, žive rane
Više ne brojim
Molitva, kao žar na mojim usnama je
Molitva, mesto reči samo ime tvoje
Nebo zna, kao ja
Koliko puta sam ponovila
To nebo zna, baš kao ja
Da je ime tvoje moja jedina molitva
Al Bogu ne mogu lagati
Sve dok se molim
A lažem ako kažem
Da te ne volim
Molitva, kao žar na mojim usnama je
Molitva, mesto reči samo ime tvoje
Nebo zna, baš kao ja
Koliko puta sam ponovila
To nebo zna, baš kao ja
Da je ime tvoje moja molitva
(Molitva, molitva)
I nebo zna, baš kao ja
Koliko puta sam ponovila
To nebo zna, baš kao ja
Da je ime tvoje moja jedina molitva
Da je ime tvoje moja molitva

4 comments:

coque said...

I haven't seen Eurovision in the last couple of years because (now) I don't like it. Now all the songs sound the same. boooooooooring.

Habibi said...

You told me that before and yes, it has been quite the same lately. Though, Lordi was absolutely the oposite of what ESC had been and that's why they won.
But you should have watched last night cos there was quite a good level.
Thogh, I still think that the gay comunity across europe voted for Serbia (except here in Spain because "we are over it" already).

Hugo said...

RIP SALOME

Habibi said...

What do you mean RIP? Has she died? When?