Saturday 14 April 2007

Z to A

Last August I talked about the movie "יוסי וג'אגר" ("Yossi & Jagger"), an Israeli movie. I don't remember if I ever talked about "يد إلهية" ("Yadon ilaheyya" or "Divine Intervention"), an Israeli-Palestinian film. But certainly, those are two movies that have become quite important for me, for different reasons.
The other day I posted the עברי לידר (Ivri Lider) version of the song "The Man I Love", certainly my favourite of his, but not the only one I like, because I love "אוב" ("Bo" or "Let's" aka "Come" [just found this English version]) and I also love "דרפס" ("Sfarad" or "Spain").
A couple of weeks ago I met this Israeli guy and I had so many questions for him. It was very interesting, very educative.
Last night I went to watch "Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam". It is a German movie that talks about the golem, a mythological Jewish creature. I have to say that the movie was great, very interesting indeed and I'd like to watch it again but with someone who would explain every reference I see. The movie is silent, but last night it was accompanied by the improvisation of 2UT's experimental, New-Age music. I loved the evening. Thank you Sister for taking me. (Unfortunately, in this town, cultural events like this one do not succeed, plus it was pouring rain).
And, if you remember, I love the song "Wędrowni sztukmistrzowie", by Justyna Steczkowska (Album "AlkimJa"). [BTW, the lyrics of this song tell of how God is amused by clowns and magicians. Many things that happen in last night's movie reminded me so much of this album and, especially, this song.]
Also, I have talked few times about Тату (t.A.T.u.) and used Cyrillic and Greek alphabets (OMG, I am such a freak).

So all this to "justify my love" to the Hebrew/Jewish, Arab and Russian culture. And, last night's movie, made me to decide myself to write this post, which I have had in mind for a while.
All the languages that I speak use the Latin alphabet. English uses it plainly, without any "special" characters. Spanish and Catalan have different characters such as the ñ and the ç as well as diacritics such as the accents (àá) or the Catalan interpunct (l·l). But those characters are mostly found in any computer. In high school I studied ancient Greek and it was a mess when I wanted to write something with the computer. But also I have tried to learn Polish which uses other diacritics and characters such as ł or ż. This are not that easily found and even in their computers the have to use the AltGr key (for the Spanish-French-Galician-Portuguese-Catalan characters we use a separate key for characters and the combination of two keys for diacritics, i.e. ´ + o = ó), so it appears to be quite uncomfortable, but at least it is just few different characters.
If you try to search, say, caña in many search engines such as Google or Flickr, you'll see how it becomes "cana", which is a different word in Spanish (if you place inverted commas before and after the word, it will work in Google). So España has become Espana. I am "Espanol". When I was a child I envied my sister for having an acute in her name (such a geek I am, you see); now I am happy I don't, because if English-speaking people have trouble pronouncing my name (so I have to let them call me with its translation), imagine if it was something that they didn't know and if it had a little line on top. I'd be mad all the time I saw my name written.

Now, imagine if your language uses a writing system totally different to English. Imagine that you write right to left, or top to bottom. Imagine that the characters you use mix to become different characters (something similar to æ). And imagine that the "future" (i.e. computers, Internet and informatics science) does not make it easy for you to use your language.
This is what millions of people deal with every single day.
I love my languages and I really love English. I know I always say how great is this language. I know I am absolutely fine with the fact that this is the language used as lingua franca (my good friend LG, who is English-speaking, dislikes that). But also, I must say how unfair it is for those whose language cannot fit in this World Wide thing. We, users of Latin alphabet (with extensions), can cope with it, with the centralisation of the Internet by English Language.
Some day, all those languages will start using this letters I am using now. I don't mean just in the Internet, to go by with it, I mean as standard. Macedonian people are already using it (not widely though).
Linguists say that in a century from now there will only be 3 languages around the world: English, Spanish and Mandarin. I think Arabic will be there too (and I hope so because I want to learn it), but I also am sure that the last two will be using the Latin alphabet.
I know it is going to seem very incoherent, but I am fine with the usage of only this alphabet. Relations would be much easier, indeed. I don't speak Flemish, but at least I can read it (somehow), distinguish words and find streets. I don't speak Arabic and I can't do any of the previous things. With Hebrew and Cyrillic it is easier, but still.

When I uploaded the albums of Ivri Lider to my iTunes, I wrote the songs in Hebrew, in its Transliteration and in its translation to English. It was difficult because every time I was copy-paste-ing something, the order of characters were altered, i.e. since Hebrew writes right to left, it would mirror the word, so עברי לידר would become *רדיל ירבע.
That Israeli guy I met, told me that when using MSN or such, he had to keep shifting from Hebrew to English keyboard layout and that his conversations would appear on the right side even when writing in English (with question maks and such before the sentence, e.g. "?How are you").

I don't really know what is the point of all this. I don't know what I want to convey. What I know is that this is very unfair. If Internet had born in Morocco everything would be totally different: I think it would be easier for any other language.
Computers are the future, and computers are supposed to made our life easier. When is it going to start making everybody's life easy?

[Break news: now you can blog in Hindi.]

5 comments:

coque said...

I like Ivri Lider too (including his music).

as I've told you once, the golem is one of muy favorite mythological creatures. is an example of how we want to be like god.

my itunes accepts hebrew and cyrilic, but my ipod doesn't work with hebrew. and i don't like it, because i'm a freak of tags. only an example:
- artist: Тату
- name: Я Сошла С Ума
- album: 200 По Встречной
- comment: t.A.T.u. |
200 Po Vstrechnoy - 200 on the Counter |
Ya soshla s uma - I've lost my mind |
All the things she said
(the comment is: artist in latin characters | album in latin characters in russian - english translation | name in latin characters in russian - translation | name of the english version of the song) LOL

some people want to use the Ñ in URLs but I disagree. it's an stupid and selfcentered idea

PS. justify my love, sexy song. i have to write a post about sensual and sexual songs.

yuval said...

Hi, This is the first time I read your blog and I want to thank you for inviting me to your world.

As a native speaker of Hebrew it was difiicult to learn English at first. The direction of the sentences, words and paragraphs was all wrong. Ac ouple of months ago my cousine was reading an English article for her studies. I t was made out of 3 sheets and when she stapled them together the pins were at the top right of the page (as we use in Hebrew). Inoticed that and she said she didn't notice it at all... My point being that we deal with it somehow. Having the markd on the wrong side can be a pain, but I have gotten used to it by now. See, English is all around us. It is the language of money. It was chosen as the language of communication pushing aside "Esperanto" that was definitely easier to use and comprehend. As good as it may be this language does not make much sense to me. If there's a word I'm not familiar with, I would probably pronounce it wrong (i.e the difference bewteen though/ through/thorough/throw. Cut/ put. cute/acute. recipe,cow/dow and so on). Teaching english to Thai students was rather chalenging as there are 26 letters in the abc and 44 in the Thai alphabet. But get this- looking at the phonics poster we had in our office I have noticed that all together there are 44 ways to pronounce the English alphabet (U that sounds like an a or like OO and so on). There are ways to overcome all those opsticals but the best way to obeserve the language is by spending a great deal of time in the place it is used.

Something interesting just for you. My family is from Yemen originaly. My grandfather studied in the "Heder" (Hebrew for Room) the students were all sitting around one book facing the Rabai and reading along with him. Some had to learn reading up side down! I must mention in this point that there are many signs additional to to the text as words can be made out without using vowels.

I'll sigh off by saying that what bothers me the most is that the language is deteriorating rapidly into plain words and shortcuts. I see it happening to modern Hebrew.
I can see it in English and I guess the same thing happens in Spanish and other languages. It's the age of fast food, fast communication everybody gets a platform and composing is not limited to the educaed anymore.

(Forgive me for the spelling mistakes :)

Habibi said...

Yuval, thank you very much for coming here. It has been a very interesting comment and very educative.
I find super cute the stapler anecdote. Some linguists say that language rules the brain, e.g. in English we say Vegetables; in German there are two words (?); in Spanish we use three of them: this shows that in Spanish Speaking world there is three kinds of veggies, in German SW there are two and in English SW only one. As well as, for example, in Russian there is only one word for the colors from blue to green.
This above explains that the idea, that I agree with, that according to what we can "say", that's what we can "think of". Many linguists disagree. Orwell must have agreed as well, cos he "deleted" the word "freedom" in Newspeak. No word for "freedom", ergo no concept of "freedom".
What I am trying to say is that if your language world goes from right to left, also your phisical world.
About English phonemes, there are way many more that 44. Only talking about vowels, there are over 30 vocalic sounds. Those are not said by a single speaker, but by all the English Speaking regions. This is one of the reasons why there has not been a spelling reform. I would write "lof" (love), but an American would write "laf", you see?
The upsidedown reading is very interesting. I can't. A friend made me realise about that not long ago. Writing right to left 'will' be difficult as well, especially handwriting.
I don't agree that language is deteriorating. I believe this is an evolution. The Spanish I speak is totally different from the one my father does. Not only because we were born in different regions but also because he is older than I am. Shall we compare with grandparents? This has happened forever. Thank goodnes, otherwise we would still be talking like Shakespeare.
Though, I agree in the "fast food communication": we try to say many things faster, using less words and less characters (we're lazy, p'aps), but I don't think that's totally bad, cos this is the Era we are in. We have to speak the way we need to. Fast is now, fast let's speak.
(Pleaze, you forgive me for my spelling mistakes).

Gatchan: yes, you are a freak :P
Though, I don't agree with the "ñ" thing. Not having the ñ in URLs is what is selfcentred, and that's what all this was about.

Hugo said...

I loved this blog but I can´t write in English because I´m crazy, you know. A little kiss for you,

Hugo, the boy with wings

Habibi said...

Dar, Hugo, it is ony a matter of jumping into the pool!
Thanks -and- thanks :$