Thursday 12 April 2007

Change me

Lately we all have been talking about Ecology, Global Warming and the freaking End of the World. And you know what? I have had enough. It is pouring rain right now. Pretty common in April. Yeah, well, it was warmer last winter, so what?
I have already told you about those great documentaries about Europe. And watching them I arrived to a conclusion that was taking too long to be achieved. Something that was in my mind, something that was said, but never realised.
As per what I remember when I studied Latin, when I first learnt about the IndoEuropean people, there was a climate change some good four millennia ago. That climate change made those people move from the Siberian steppes on a diaspora around Europe; that ended up being the birth of over hundred languages around Europe and Asia. Since this is what I am interested in and what I want to study, I don't think that Climate Change was that bad, do you? There are theories of connections between languages in Europe and America that could have been done during that last glaciation 2M BC crossing over the ice. Also, the fact that Homo Sapiens was first born in Africa. How did they crossed to Europe? Was the Mediterranean sea dry at the time (since it has dried out several times)?
Also, the documentary tells of how the African tectonic plate is pushing towards Europe and some time in the future we will become one and only continent. Then, why not accepting the application of Morocco as an EU member state? Also, they explained how Europe has gone through different climates from North Pole Winter to Saharan Summers. This has happened ever since the Earth was formed.
Yeah, right, this time is different because of the impact of humans. I am just saying but, don't you think it is possible that that's not the actual reason? I am just saying, because we always tick-tack-talk theories of what has/would/should-happen/ed. Who the heck are we?
An acquittance of mine, who is a biologist, said to me once: If Mother Nature wanted to get rid of us, she'd do it on a blink! If She hasn't do so just yet, it is because either She does not want or She is just too bored to do so. It happened once with the dinosaurs, it can happen again.
I am not saying "Oh, well, then, we can't do anything wrong, let's built everything and kill every specie we don't like". I am just saying what if the the so-called Global Warming is "normal", what if it has to happen?

If so, England is going to grow on wine châteaux.

PS Once again, this is not all what I wanted to tell. The wetness of this country blurs my mind.

2 comments:

coque said...

I've read that there were six massive extinctions. but we do not want it to happen to us.

Habibi said...

but, darling, if it has to happen it has to happen! And we ain't going to change that! P'aps a dinosaur thought one day while eating some fern that it didn't want it to happen to them. And it did happen, and that's why now we are here. There is never a six without a seven and, if you believe in god, you'll see that 7 is a very religious number.