Saturday 2 September 2006

"I am a headliner!"

When I was a child, like any other kid, I would wake up early on Sunday morning. When I say early I mean like at 7am.
Today, you turn on your TV at this time, when the Sun hasn't come up yet, and you can see a whole variety of children programs. When I was a kiddo it wasn't like that. For start, we only had three channels (first and second channel of TVE, i.e. TVE1 and TVE2 and the first channel of TVC, i.e. TV3). And the children programming wasn't good yet –we hadn't started to trust in the nanny Mrs Telly. So, I would wake up and play videos of Asterix or whatever we got. When I got bored of them, I played all the videos we had. "Pretty Woman", "Sister Act" and the second part (the title of this post is a quote of this film). And my favourites were: "Grease" and "Clash of the Titans". I saw the Travolta movie a couple of years ago and I was surprised that the movie had turned into a whole different thing over the years: now I understand the hidden and not so hidden jokes, like when I think Stockard Channing and that guy with the holes in the face were making out in the car, since I had a very bad copy, that scene was very dark and with noise so I thought it was starting to rain when they were talking about 'plastic' but they were really talking about condoms. "Clash of the Titans" is a real classic (with also Maggie Smith, as in the "Sister Act"'s).
Well, then I grew up a bit more: we had more channels out of a sudden. Up to seven! Imagine, now we complain with our only 20 channels in the DTTV, and back then we weren't complaining. The thing is, back then, there was no other thing. Now we have Cable and Satellite TV as well (you can't envy what you don't know).
Also, we had a sudden grow of Video Rentals in my town. As well of a population grow. There was a family who moved to my town when I was a teenager that had the same surname as mine and one of the daughters was called like my younger sister (although, she is older than me). And they would mess up in the Video Rentals (no cards with magnetic bands or micro-chips back then!) and they would tell us that we had whatever movie at home and we hadn't rent it. So, one day, my sister rented "Reality Bites" and forgot to give it back. So, when I went to the Rental again, I just said that it wasn't us who had rented it. And it worked. The movie is still at my mom's, I guess.
So we watched it over and over. I could tell the lines as if it was my lessons. I would quote it all the time, I would cover my school folder with pictures of it (we already had Internet, though) and quotes. Imagine, such a freak. That's why I wasn't getting late, LOL!
I like to watch the movies I have seen and liked long time ago because I find totally different things then. And I really like to watch them now in English, if they are in that language original. But I was very over RB, actually. I really don't know how many times I watched it but, hey, way too many. Also, when I got growing up I realised that I was no part of that X Generation it is supposed to be about. Perhaps, being born in 1981 was too late to participate. Though, I don't even think I belong to any of the Generations that have come along after the X. So, that's a movie I didn't really thought of watching again. Not like "To Be or Not to Be" which I saw last month and I loved it more than when I watched it when I was in High School. There are many movies I have watched again lately, but I can't recall. Oh, yeah, "The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover", for instance. Or "Mary Poppins" or "Bedknobs and Broomsticks".
Ok, so earlier this month I was in my town for a sort of High School reunion (ah, I had seen again "Romy and Michelle" couple of weeks before, also with Jeanine Garofalo). It wasn't really a High School because it was of the people born in 1981. So, when they sent me the kind of invitation, they attached one of those SPAM letters that goes around the Internet. The letter was about watching back to our childhood and see how different is everything now. One of the things it says is something about "Reality Bites" like that we know we have changed when we watch it again and we do not like it anymore. Then I got a fly on my nose.
BTW, I have forgotten to say that I have the Soundtrack of the movie and I love it. Especially Stay by Lisa Loeb. Also, my sister and our friends liked the movie as well and we all had the songs and we would sing them all along.
A couple of weeks ago, I was on the computer and my brother was watching telly and suddenly I heard something familiar. It was the first notes of "I'm Nuthin'" played by Ethan Hawke in the movie and I recognised it. So I went to the living room and my brother had already changed channel and I asked him to go back to check which channel it was (because on the sort of satellite TV we had they repeat films and programs all the time): it was Cosmopolitan TV but I checked it out and they weren't showing it again.
So I had the bugger to watch it again so I did today. Also, now, I watched it in English and it came along with a whole new perspective, obviously.
The thing that surprised me the most was when Lelaina says "I was really going to be somebody by the time I was 23" which is funny: I had never expected to be a somebody at that age; perhaps 30 or 40, but absolutely not 23, in any case, I am running late.
I liked it. It brought me a lot of memories and gave me an optimistic push. Now my quotes can be in English:
"Would the two of you just do it and get it over with? I'm starving!"

"So I take pleasure in the details. (...) the sky about ten minutes before it starts to rain, the moment where your laughter become a cackle..."

Oh, and I loved to hear in English this:
"Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses."
[Source]
I'll will still keep the OST on my iPod and I will sing-along all those songs that bring me back to when I was a teenager.
God bless Digital broadcasting, DVDs, the Internet (especially the IMDb) and the Wikipedia), the iPod and all those small things that I really like (small because they are not the wheel of my life, but bits that make me happy).

Sorry if this post sounds repetitive and weird; it is after 3am. In four hours I have to wake up to watch cartoons.

Stay – Lisa Loeb
(Lyrics below)



You say I only hear what I want to.
You say I talk so all the time so.
And I thought what I felt was simple,
and I thought that I don't belong,
and now that I am leaving,
now I know that I did something wrong 'cause I missed you.
Yeah yeah, I missed you.
And you say I only hear what I want to:
I don't listen hard,
don't pay attention to the distance that you're running
to anyone, anywhere,
I don't understand if you really care,
I'm only hearing negative: no, no, no.
So I turned the radio on, I turned the radio up, and this woman was singing my song: lover's in love, and the other's run away, lover is crying 'cause the other won't stay.
Some of us hover when we weep for the other who was
dying since the day they were born.
Well, well, this is not that;
I think that I'm throwing, but I'm thrown.
And I thought I'd live forever, but now I'm not so sure.
You try to tell me that I'm clever,
but that won't take me anyhow, or anywhere with you.
You said that I was naive, and I thought that I was strong. I thought, "hey, I can leave, I can leave." Oh, but now I know that I was wrong, 'cause I missed you. Yeah, I miss you.
You said, "I caught you 'cause I want you and one day I'll let you go."
You try to give away a keeper, or keep me 'cause you know you're just
scared to lose.
And you say, "Stay."
And you say I only hear what I want to.

[Update]: Aparently the image that I added on the top was removed from server or forbidden the usage, because I can't see it with Firefox but I can with IE as I hadn't used it to watch that image. So, I got an unpleasant image instead in horrible German language. Also, I've seen that I've lost some images on previous posts. I was just adding them from its original location to: 1. avoid having to save it and upload it and so on; 2. maintain the ownership. But, since I have just got pissed off... I will just dow it on my own.
Well, so image on the top originally from here and the poster from here.
On top of it, you have to be a bloody Yahoo! user to use Flikr (although, it is fine that you have to be a GMail user tu get a Blogger account, but Google is best), and my ID is unavailable! What the hell! I'm upset and it is too early in the morning.

1 comment:

coque said...

i also used to wake up early, but i liked the tv programs.
about grease, it happened the same to me. it's quite strange seing how innocent we were.
i read a post about "our generation", about all the things we have in common, but for sociologist is quite complicated to give us a name. there is a big variety of denominations (wikipedia), maybe because we are very heterogeneous.