Wednesday 27 June 2007

Red Summer

Summer is here and so are the cold soups and fresh salads.
Red is the colour of Summer, fire and my back after going to the beach.

There are many Summer meals with reddish colours. Watermelon, Salmorejo, Gazpacho, Sangría, Tinto de Verano... Ok, fine, I know, most of them are Spanish. Today's special comes from the Baltic sea.

Enjoy it.

Šaltibarščiai
AKA Cold Borść
Lithuanian Salad/Soup with Polish/Hungarian origins.


Ingredients:
  • Marinated beetroot
  • Spring onions
  • Hard boiled eggs
  • Dill (better fresh)
  • Cucumber
  • Natural yoghurt
  • Milk (a little bit)
  • (optional) lemon juice and the liquid of the beetroot.

Preparation:
  • Cut everything in small pieces and mix. The smaller you cut it, the softer it will be. For the photo above I didn't cut it very small as I prefer it as salad.
  • Serve chilled.

3 comments:

Mara Jade said...

Yesssssssssssssssss, I like it!!

See you in august and you will be my personal cooker :-*****

(¿cuántas faltas de ortografía he tenido? jijiji)

coque said...

I never ate beetroot, but it looks good, and I like dishes prepared with milk

Habibi said...

Mara: i'm super looking forward to that. xoxo

gatchan: what d'u mean? u've never eaten beetroot? Ok, I'll make sure you get to taste it.