Wednesday 23 November 2005

Suddenly it is Christmas

Once again, I have forgotten to post something I thought long ago.

It was 3rd of November, two days before I went on holidays, long Bank Holiday weekend. I'm walking to the office.

Some men [paid by the Town Hall] are cutting off the leaves of the trees (well, the leaves and the small branches) with the following repercussions:

  • the tree will only be an skeleton,
  • the tree will have to grow again the small branches next spring, i.e. more effort,
  • the tree wont be creating oxygen from now on; if the leaves were left, it would create oxygen for a month or two more.
  • the tree will produce less oxygen next year as it will take longer until it grows the leaves,
  • the town hall is only paying (let's say) 10 men for 2 weeks, instead of 5 men for 3 months cleaning the streets,
  • the beautiful autumn image of the streets full of leaves wont be seen,
  • the tree will not grow high and big,
  • the tree looks horrible.

I know there must be other reasons to cut them, though, I see the trees in London, so big and beautiful, and I can't imagine there is one better reason in this small town.

At the same time they cut them off, other men were hanging the Christmas light decorations in the street.

Remember: it is 3rd of November.

I think about it during the morning. When I go home, I look at one light (they aren't beautiful). Suddenly a thought comes up to my mind:

"YOU HAVE JUST GOT PAID. REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN'T SPEND MUCH MONEY THIS MONTH. NEXT ONE YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEND SO MUCH MONEY."

I thought Christmas was just the festivity of the birth of Jesus Christ.
Where is the magic and the beauty of the legend of Saint Nicholas and the French Nuns? Where is it? Is it in my Credit Card?
I do not think so.
At home we do not capitalise Christmas [we are not even religious]; normally we do just one present per person. This year, I told them, not to do a present bought in a store [second hand and charities are allowed], better something that you do with your own hands, something with meaning.

1 comment:

coque said...

i have to disagree. i love xmas, at least the comercial xmas. i'm not religious so i'm glad to see that a catholic (once it was pagan) festivity has become pagan again :P