Monday 14 November 2005

Dreamland

Hello guys! I've just arrived from my holidays in London (and England, actually).
This have been the best holidays I have ever had. Imagine! Even though it wasn't exactly holidays as I was somewhere I knew well (eventually, my sense of orientation has gone one step forward, but I still get bit lost sometimes).
I am not going to go through all details on how my holiday were and what did I do but, as always, I am going to let my mind explain itself with my thought on the big city.

The first thing that comes up to my mind is the fact that things that I used to hate (i.e. tube, underground) has appeared to be one of the nicest things and most missed of all (the things, not people) as, since I got back to this country (Sunny Spain is becoming Very Rainy Spain, BTW), I have lost the habit of reading; I guess, I had created the habit of reading while moving and now I have only a two-minute walk to my office. So, on my flight there I started reading El Quijote and now I am almost finishing --I have to say that I went twice to the country on one-hour train trip.

London is a very full big city. There are people of any kind, any nationality. There are many crazy people. I was so distressed when, waiting for my friend to pick me up at King's Cross, a drunken man shouted at me and scared me. Though, sometimes you see people that you'd love to run into and start a conversation. Or you see through a house window, or through the doors of a pub something that really moves you. Like the other day, walking around, this young couple dancing ball dance (not that properly, actually) and the scene was so nice that I wanted to take a photo.

Going back to the places I liked has been, actually, one of THE THINGS I've been doing all the week. My walk: Westminster - Southwark (NFT) - Tate Modern - Millennium Bridge - North Bank (?) - Embankment Gardens - Charing T (Re: "Brave New World", Huxley) - Leicester Square - Coven Garden - Carnaby Street... Such a great few hours walking. Stopping in every corner to LOOK what I've already SEEN a few thousand times. Sit in a bench in South Bank and look at the Thames. Look at the skaters, the jumpers, the joggers and all the people that, like you, is just walking around. Great.

Meeting my friends has been great, what can I say? I felt loved. This is not that kind of blog -- sending you big-wet-auntie-Ann's kisses. And hugs and mate-embraces and hits.

Porridge. Oh, too bad. The first day my friend --whose beautiful house I was staying in-- bought me some Digestive and butter cookies, which I had missed. Though, the second morning I started eating Porridge for my breakfast --berries, banana, raisins, sultana... Oh, great... I can't believe we changed oats for "Cola-Cao".

Her garden; even though it was just cold enough not to have our cheese night outside, I could be for ever looking at it.

Planes: as her house is near Heathrow Airport planes were coming and going all the time. You would see one and before you stop hearing his engine you have a new one to hear/see. Or sometimes you would see four planes at once, queueing up for landing. So many planes, hundreds of them. Coming, going. EuroStar, trains, buses. People. Move, move. Transport. Movement. Rotation. Money. Transport. Transport. Transport.

Multiculturalism. Visiting Southall was great. The Indian-Pakistani area is full of colour and has a totally different move, all rather slower and chilled out. Also at home, where night talks will end up on difference between how we all see life. Or history talk about WWII and would have the American, the English, the French and the Spanish version and could reach for the Greek, the Italian and the German (right?). I would stop their speech to say: "Oh, you are the allies!" and then argue with them why they didn't help us (America did, a bit, just for interest).

I have more to say, though, I am bit tired for the trip. Will follow.

PS As you can see I have changed the "roller blind", this is from "my bedroom" in London.
All the photos taken this week in London.
Thank you very much LG (Life's Good).

1 comment:

coque said...

i love big cities, and London is one of my favs, even when i have never been there lol
it's great to read you again and with a positive post