Saturday 26 November 2005

RRR

A few weeks ago, a friend told me that in Belgium they have a very good recycling program. They have microchips in the rubbish bags so you only pay rubbish collection taxes according to what you throw away. Recyclable materials are collected for free. So, you can find people who opens the tea bag to throw the tea on the organic, the staple to the traditional rubbish, the label to the paper and... where does the cord go? I don't know. I have Googled it and I didn't quite find the information about it (in English) but I saw that it certainly has a good system.
The reason I talk about that is because my eldest sister said the other day: "Oh, they placed two recycling points in front of my house --one for plastics and the other for paper--. I can finally recycle!" Before that, she should have had to go a few hundred meters to the nearest recycling point, i.e. she wasn't recycling. She is happy now. I wonder if other people would be happy to be able to recycle.
I have been thinking about that lately and watching at people. I saw a woman yesterday that was carrying a rubbish bag to the "container" and I could recognise through the almost transparent plastic that she had some cans and tetra packs inside. This morning I saw a woman throwing a carton board box to the traditional rubbish; the worst, twenty meters away there was a paper recycling container but the container she used was a meter from her shop doorstep. Both were women: this does not mean that women do not care (even though the cleaners I've seen throwing the spam and the free magazines are women), I do think that most possibly women care about recycling more than men, as per my experience with house mates and friends. [This, actually, meant that women are who normally throw rubbish away.]
I do not understand why the recycling system in Spain works so poorly. I do not understand why the govern does not pay a good recycling campaign. I don't understand why don't we get a law to oblige people to recycle. I don't understand why can't I recycle organic.
I don't understand why people throws things to the floor, and less, why they do not recycle, why they do not WANT to recycle.

No comments: