Thursday 17 November 2005

20-XI-75

I know I am no-one to say what is 'bad' and what is 'good' but, sometimes, I realise that I must be some-one to say that some-thing is BAD.

A while ago, I moved the telly from the living room to the kitchen so I don't watch it that much, only while I am having lunch and dinner. In the Living Room I left an English telly that does not receive Spanish frequencies but has a DVD incorporated.
My father came on Monday to visit and I moved the telly back. Anyway, after a long evening talking about the latest news, we got engaged with a documentary that Mercedes Milà is doing in Tele5. The thing is: on the 22nd of November 1975, Franco died. So Milà is doing a documentary about the Fascism and the Ultra-right-ism in nowadays Spain.

It is unbelievable that people still thinks that Franco was great, but it is disgusting to see that young people (my age and even younger, 14ish) say things like "I believe that ultra-right dictatorships are better than Democracy", "In a Democracy you cannot choose what you want, when in a Dictatorship you can". Of course, if you are fine with the belief of the dictator, it is fine for you!

Oh, come on guys! What is all that about? It is repulsing. Seeing this old woman shouting "Assassin" to Santiago Carrillo --former general secretary (president, head) of the PCE, the Spanish Communist Party-- for something that never happened in Paracuellos del Jarama, when they are giving him Honoris Causa at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid.
What are all those demonstrations against the removal of Franco-ist street plaque names or sculptures of the Dictator (30 years after his dead --of course, we still have the sculptures of dead kings and governors of the old ages, but it is different because they weren't that kind of dictator (some kings where, though).
What are all those ultra-right demonstrations in the pseudo-nations of Spain, i.e. Euskadi, Catalunya, Galicia... just to "show" that Spain's "unity" is important.
Oh, come on, when Cervantes was alive they used to say "The Spains" and even before. I am Catalan and I am Spanish. And I am a bit Andalusian and a bit Aragonese and a bit Madrilian. Come on, I am so interested in keeping Spain as it is but the "Una, grande y libre" ["One, big and free"] is SO out of fashion.
It is time for us to accept that there is more than one Spain and that we have to start respecting one another's beliefs. But, more important than that, we have to start accepting that the past is just that: past.
For the sake of Spain: let's look ahead and walk holding hands to a better future.

2 comments:

ian llorens said...

The more I learn about our history and I am doing a lot of reading, the more convinced I am that we, Catalonia, are a nation. Which is the next aggregation level, Spain, Iberia, peoples of the old kingdom of Aragon, the so-called and badly named "Paisos Catalans", ...?, to be frank, I do not know, I am still debating, but with my background, the next aggregation level is most probably the Earth. But I can respect any other opinion if people make an effort to respect each other.

Habibi said...

I am Catalan by birth and because I feel it. My mother didn't start speaking Catalan until she was 33 (when she gave me birth) as --1981-- the law here changed and she needed Catalan to work (she's a teacher). Her parents were from Aragon and Madrid. My father and all the people before him are from Andalusia. I have family in many other Spanish comunities (Castile, Balear Islands, Northern Territories...).
So: I am so Spanish, as I am a bit of everything.
Though, I am Catalan and I will "shout it to the four winds" forever.
My language is Spanish (though I speak Catalan as a mother tongue --no accent, no mistakes, no problem). Can I feel Catalan being, de facto, Spanish? This is one of "My Questions".
I hate when people does not speak propperly: "nation" and "nationality" are not the same. My Nation is Catalonia (Nation within the united nations of Iberia), my Nationality is Spanish/Spain, and I want it to be for ever.
I wish we were a Federated Republic; it is difficult, so let's try to live in harmony.