Friday 3 February 2006

Freedom

Today, while I was having my first coffee of the day, I was reading the newspaper Diari de Tarragona. I don't normally read the newspaper –I usually dig into Google News– but I was in the café by the office this time. I was going through it, just reading a bit of information of the news that were catching my attention. One of them was the announcement that Lluís Llach, the Catalan singer-poet, is retiring by Spring next year.
I have never been very kin on Llach's music. Actually, I have not yet found one Catalan band or singer that I really like (singing in Catalan, that is) –well, I do like Joan Manuel Serrat but I prefer his albums in Spanish (Dedicado a Antonio Machado, especially).
But, there is one reason why I have an especial feeling towards Lluís Llach.
In 1968 he composed the song "L'estaca" (The Stick) which became the anthem of the ani-Franco's dictatorship underground movement. He had a lot of problems and was on the exile for a while in France. Up to here, it is all right.
But the reason why I have this thing is related to Poland. Some of you may already know, or might have noticed, that I really like Poland and its culture.
The thing is, that some time during the 70's, Jacek Kaczmarski must have met Lluís Llach. Somewhere I couldn't find now, I read that they were together in Paris for some reason.
Jacek Kaczmarski was a Polish singer and songwriter who, unfortunately, passed away only two years ago. Even though he was very famous, he is still best known for his song "Mury" (Walls) which became the unofficial anthem of the Solidarność (Solidarity) movement.
The surprising thing, here, is that both songs are the same. The melody is, the lyrics aren't, but the meaning is the same. Both are chants for freedom. One of freedom from Franco's Fascist Dictatorship, and the other freedom from Communism.
Here you have them both. I hope you like them as much as I do. If you want either the translation of "L'estaca" into Spanish or English, just ask for it. If you have or can do the translation of "Mury" into Spanish or English, it would be wonderful.
Enjoy. Freedom for...
L'estaca, by Lluís LLach

Mury, by Jacek Kaczmarski


Both of them Powered by Castpost

1 comment:

ian llorens said...

His concert on January 1976 was groundbreaking. The lyrics of all songs had such a symbolism that the dormant Catalan spirit revived in many of us, even if I was a kid by then.
I liked "L'Estaca" (The stake), but especially "La Gallineta"(The Chick). There is so much meaning in those 2 songs.