Monday 29 January 2007

Regina

The other day I saw "The Queen", the wonderful Stephen Frears movie. I've seen few of his movies. I enjoyed "Mrs Henderson Presents", which OST I am starting to sing; I "suffered" with "Dirty Pretty Things", and I was at the hotel business then –and in London–, imagine; and I so loved "My Beautiful Launderette", which I should see again.
So now "The Queen". I must say it wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting a ride through the life of the multi-Queen Elizabeth II and found that it was all centered about and around the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, the People's Princess.

The day Di died my mother had been trying to wake me for hours. Then, she burst that Diana had died. As a gay I loved her, as a human I admired her. I jumped out of bed.
That day, like when the Pope Karol Józef Wojtyła died, or in September 11, there was nothing else in the telly.
I cried, I must say. Because I couldn't believe she had died. You don't expect people who you "know" since you were little to suddenly die. Yes, it was a shame when the Pope died and I felt sorry and sad, because he was "my" Pope even though I don't even believe in his religion; though, I was "expecting" this to happen, as he was old and ill. Diana... no, she was neither old nor ill. She was just perfect and perfect was supposed to remain forever. Unfortunately, she didn't. She passed away and left us here, wondering what was going to happen. After that, the gossip magazines and the yellow press have had it very hard to find someone like her. Not only for the fact that she was the mother of a future king of the UK but because she was nice and kind, helpful with the ones in need and beautiful. Now we have Peaches.
I cried watching the movie. I cried again with Helen Mirren. I hope she gets the Academy Award.

I felt terribly sad and terribly sorry for Diana. For her and for her sons. For Charles and for Elizabeth. I know many people has said that before, but it has to be true: no money can buy happiness or peace. I don't want money, I don't like money. Money ruins the world (besides what Jude sings).
My family is just a "normal" family, we don't have bodyguards. So something can happen to us anytime (hope not). But thinking you have everything under control and something breaks apart is too sad.

Life is mysterious. Life is an enigma. Let's live life, let's not try to control it.

PS I loved to see HRH matching telly. I always thought of this: what programs do they watch? I would be the kind of king who is always renting DVDs. Watching the news would be like bringing work home.

1 comment:

coque said...

i only remember that day because it was the first day with my first computer.
yes, (as a gay) I liked diana (and william) but apart from her humanitarian acts, she didn't impress me.

I haven't seen any of the movies you talk about, but I put them on my list.

If this world is not a safe place,
then let's live.
That's my victory.
[link]