Thursday 18 January 2007

Cut here

For the past few weeks I have been trying to avoid any contact with politics. The situation in Spain isn't wonderful. The leader of the opposition does not know how to "discuss" and when to support the govern. He only knows to insult, and frankly, he should learn new words and insults that were coined during the last fifty years.

[Let me interrupt myself to explain something funny. First (not funny but just kind of informative): Spain, although a Kingdom, does not have Prime Minister but President –in words–. Second: the leader of the the ruling party, PSOE, is called the 'General Secretary' but the leader of PP, the opposition, is called 'President'. I just find it so funny that we use different words for same things, ones that are harmless (President-Prime Minister) others that show how they think (Secretary-President).]

But since the terrorist attack the other day it has been quite impossible to avoid Politics. But, at least, I have decided not to watch the News but to read them [I also hear the news on the radio but they are five minutes news' breaks]. This way, if I don't like something, I can just turn the page over or skip the paragraph.
Two days ago it was very quiet at work and I was having a tea while turning pages of the paper. But something got my attention and made me very happy and concerned at the same time.
So it seems that Scotland is thinking of getting the independence and, as per what news say, it seems that surveys show that +50% of English wouldn't mind it to happen.
We have talked about that. We have compared it to Spain, to the situation in Catalonia and in the Basque Country and it seems obvious to me that there is nothing similar. No common points. We are far behind them. But what seems most important, for me, is the feeling of nation. So Scottish feel that are not the same as English. Till here fine. But the distinction comes when the English don't want to be mixed in the same bag as Scots. This is the différance: Spanish (I mean, neither-Basque-nor-Galician-nor-Catalan-nor-etc. Spanish people) feel Spain as One and Unite (almost like " One, Big and Free" from the Falangists, ohoho... not quite, not quite). Or at least this is what is shown in the news.
I guess this happens because Castille has always been stronger than Aragon or, at least, has been trying to rule over us.

I am not going to talk about what will happen, what can happen and what would happen: I leave that for the journalists who are the ones who know about it. I don't want to talk about what did happen, cos this is for the historians. Though, I just want to say that I find it funny and interesting how at about the same period in history, both Spain and Great Britain were created. I mean, that at the beginning of the XVII century the kingdoms of Scotland, Ireland and England - and - the kingdoms of Navarra, Aragón and Castilla y León (plus Asturias and Galicia) (plus Portugal that later was lost along with many other territories) - both groups were united in one same king (one each). In the British Isles it was James I of England (VI Stuart) and in the case of Spain it was Carlos I of Spain (Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor). Though, again, there are differences because Charles was King of Spain as it is today (almost) but James was three times king. Another century had to go by till Scotland and England were definitely united and another century more to be united with Ireland.
Though, it was then, in 1603 that Scotland last had its own king (although, what would you expect if the last Scottish king to speak Gaelic was James' great grandfather, James IV - last King of Aragón to speak Catalan (to the court) was, if I am not wrong, Fernando I of Aragón).

I don't want to say if I support or not, the independence of Scotland, cos I am neither Scottish nor English and it is not I who is going to decide. You have read the lines above so you can get conclusions of what I think. Do not take any assumptions from the image because I did that to illustrate the situation.
Thinking of a great thing as splitting a country in two is something I really can't imagine. Sure, I have studied about Yugoslavia, Ireland and such. But not even the former that happened at a stage of my life I could remember, influenced me at any rate (now it does through the memory of friends). I only remember my sister's slogans.
And now, I am preparing myself to experience the "possible" separation of a country. Whether it happens or not, I can't wait to live it.

The photo in the background of the image,
where the sea should be, shows one of the most known Scottish places,
Loch Ness, taken on a rainy day of July 2004.

Listening to "Graines d'étoiles"
by Émilie Simon and Perry Blake
from the self-named album of the former.

Update: I couldn't find this photo.

3 comments:

coque said...

the thing I don't always understand is why do we always have to justify the political decisions on the past.

about independence, well, in my opinion (as a simple citizen), while Europe is still in progress, starting a process of independece is a risk and even a mistake.
how will a brand-new-state become member of Europe?

by Europe I mean the European Union.

love émilie simon :)

Habibi said...

I don't think I have tried to justify any political decission. Especially from the past (I wouldn't do that).

About Independence and EU: I think it could be possible for Scotland. It does not need to be out of EU, of course. Where I don't think it could be that easy with Catalonia or the Basque Country.

ian llorens said...

Habibi,
You are right that the first King of Spain was technically Charles I (V of Germany), but only during the last 3 years of his life. Till 1555, he was King of Aragon and Regent of Castile and the overseas territories (her mom, Juana la Loca, died in 1555, and she was Queen of Castile and the overseas territories). Phillip II was the first King to use the title of king of Spain, but he also held the titles of most of the Kindoms and Principalities in his empire.
I do not see any real issue with Catalonia or Scotland becoming independent. They would become part of the EU as independent countries. Spanish would boycott Catalan products for a while (English would not boycott Scottish) and that's it. And Catalan would become EU official language because we would have a little solid line (not dotted line) around us and that seems to be very important to the legislators.