Tuesday 28 November 2006

All what we need

Relationships... Why are they so difficult?
I have asked that many times but, still, no response has ever convinced me.
Why the heck we are so complicated? That's a better question, because relationships are easy peasy, or are they?
This morning, while sipping on my café con leche, I found myself being stared at after my two cents of what life really is. Yes, we were talking, I don't remember what about, and I, suddenly, uttered some words that they weren't expecting me to utter: we are here, in this world, just to create life, to bear children; just like any other animal. Then I sipped my coffee and saw all those pairs of eyes looking at me like if I had just said the unbelievable story of how I went around the world in eighty days, walking. One of the girls opened her eyes and said "So, we aren't doing well" (none of us has children). I am gay, so it is quite difficult I have children of my own. Yes, I do want to have children, I have even picked names up, but, you know, not just yet (unless you finally marry me). My mother had my sister when she was my age. My sister is eight years older than I am and she hasn't had any children yet. She is married, though, not that it matters, because Mother Nature does not know about marriage. Mother nature does not seem to know many of the things we do, daily. Or does She?
Why are we so fucked up?
That's the real question. We think that we know everything, every step. But we don't. Not at all. Not even the smallest hint of it. We can't even imagine how life could be, so fucking great, if we let ourselves alone.
The other day I was speaking with a friend and we were talking about this relationships' deal, what else. We talked about her ex and how bad he must had felt when they last saw each other, at a big party, where she was enjoying herself. Hmph? Are you sure, dear? I said she wasn't right. Men are so simple and don't go saying: "Oh, look at her, she is having fun, how I miss the times when she and I were together and she was happy, not like the last months, when it was all grumpiness in hour home." No, that's not something a man would say. Slightly thinking about that, well, perhaps. But actually saying that? No way! We are easy, simple, and we like it that way. Of course, there are some exceptions, like in every single rule: some men are (we are), let's say, different. Well, let's talk clear: some of us have a wicked mind and go thinking and re-thinking about everything once and again. Why not saying it, some of us think about relationships like a woman would do.
Jorge Bucay said: the best way to answer to "I love you" is by saying "And I feel loved by you". I thought that was both clever and true (because not all true things are clever). It is so difficult to answer to those very difficult words, you know that as well as I do, and whatever you chose to answer, will be a mistake. Because if you say "Me too" it just sounds so forced, so fake, that you wish that a Acme branded anvil fell on you to avoid the situation; and if you answer "Oh, thanks".... well... you know what happens then, don't you? I have said that, and I felt so bad. Bad is not the word.
Bucay also said in some other book that the we should acknowledge the other's love. I mean, that we should never expect others to love us as we love them. Imagine we can measure love: if X loved Y 80L (out of hundred; L being the measurement of Love) and Y love X back 60L, that shouldn't be a problem if X needed 60L to be happy and Y needed 80. Because loving more or loving less than what you NEED (note, I said NEED, not WANT or WISH) is bad.

Relationships... yes. They are weird.
Sometimes I just feel like I am a clementine and my "better half" is an orange. So we don't match.
Is that what really happens? Is that I am different (or he is)? Or is it just that I am having too high expectations.
Why do we always expect so much of our partners? Why don't we just accept them as they are? Are we giving them what they expect of us? And in case we are not, why the hell did God give us Language? If I need... whatever... and... whoever... isn't giving it to me, why aren't I asking for it, I mean, with words?
Alanis sings "would I be whining if I said I needed a hug?"
Would I?
Why are we so scared of telling what we really feel? Why are we keeping that shell of us? To protect from what others can do to us or to protect what we can feel? Is it Love what we are protecting ourselves of? What is Love, anyway?

What is it?
Do we really need it? Does it make us breath?

Perhaps. Perhaps it does. "Love is all you need".

1 comment:

coque said...

relationships are difficult because there are (at least) two people involved. and one has to bear with his feelings and also with part of the other's feelings.

about children, you know what I think about: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BRxVx8hxR0w (EN) / http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iu2bmM5sXF8 (ES) ;)
having kids is one of the greatest responsabilities, but it seems that there is people who don't think the same. If the did, they wouldn't have them.

I agree with you, men and women see love in different ways. do we confuse love and sex? do we confuse love and friendship? do we confuse love and relationships? do we confuse anything in between?

I can't explain what love is, but yes, we need it, it do make us breath.