Tuesday 13 December 2005

Christmas, oh Christmas...

I hate the falsity of Christmas.
Why do I have to smile?
I know many people has talked about that but I need to say it.

It is not fare that if you behave badly for most of the months of the year, suddenly you come to me (or make someone come to me) to try to make things better. For the sake of Christmas Eve's Dinner!
As Americans would say: Come ........... on!
This year I am not going to spend money on gifts (not because I am short of money now, because I have enough for a few presents). I don't want to participate of this Christmas Shopping Event. I will make presents: hand made or bought on charities or wherever the money I spend goes into a cause, not just for the next boat or trip of the owner.
Down with Shopping Centres, down with El Corte Inglés!
This reminds me of a chapter of The Simpsons where the owners of a Big Shopping Centre (Inspired in Wal-Mart, perhaps) suddenly invented a new feast: The Love Day, when you buy silly presents for your beloved ones, decorate your house with hearts and teddies and after that day you throw everything away.
Just after opening the presents Marge says: "We better start our Love Day cleanup! Kids, you take care of the wrapping paper, I'm going to dismantle Love Land." (Marge goes outside where Bears are playing Violins).
This is when Homer is Springfield's Sanitation Commissioner with the slogan "Can't Someone Else do it?". [The Simpsons, "Trash of the Titans", Episode 200th or 22nd of the 9th season].
(Here you can see quotations of The Simpsons and videos of this chapter, I haven't seen them, so I don't know what are they.)
This is it! We spend because they want us to spend.
I normally do not buy presents even for birthdays: I buy them if I am walking around and I find something I'd like someone to have it.
Christmas could be all year round.
We should be good people all year round.

But again: Human Behaviour...

2 comments:

coque said...

I love Christmas, I love winter, I love the lights, I love presents (big or small, I don't mind)...
Many people is against Christmas, but I wonder why nobody is against summer.
I don't like the beach. I don't like to be tanned. I don't like going "al pueblo". I don't like paying so much money for a ticket to the most-exotic-beach-you've-ever-seen. I don't like Interrail...
I don't like to do the things you "have" to do on summer, but I don't complain about it, and I'm not the only one.
I just do the things I like and don't do the things I don't like. That's all. Don't feel obliged to do something you don't like.

ian llorens said...

I could not agree more with you, Habibi. Especially here in US everything is done with a sole objective, that you consume. It is not important whether you need it or not. The problem is that they drive everything thorugh the kids. Schools promote consumerism. I give you an example. My daughther's school organized an activity that had as an objective to give presents to the needy. I could not choose the present, I was told what to buy. I thought that I would have to buy some non perishable food item or some winter clothing (it is damn cold down here). Do you know what I was asked to buy? A curl iron!!!!

I love the Simpsons.